Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Show me Your glory!

When I read through John 17 this morning, it was like something wouldn’t settle from the very first moment I began reading the chapter. This is one of my FAVORITE chapters in the Bible, with SO much in it that usually speaks DEEPLY to me….but today…nothing was sinking in. Over and over again… the first verse kept churning in my spirit…

Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven and said, “Father the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,” John 17:1

Jesus was GOD praying to His Father to GLORIFY HIM. This was a ‘prayer request’!! Now, I GET, seriously, the NEED to wait for His glory to be revealed until the proper time. Over and over, when Jesus did miracles, He told people to NOT go tell everyone because it WASN’T time yet for His glory to be revealed.
BUT…what has had me thinking….is that Jesus, aka…GOD… PRAYED for His glory to NOW be revealed. Glory wasn’t (this is in PENCIL, in the margin…ok??) and isn’t about identity and/or timing.
It’s an answer to prayer to those like Moses and Jesus who will ask for it. One man didn’t seem to have the right to ask for such a thing, and the other didn’t seem to NEED to ask for such a thing. And yet, they both asked.

...that Your Son also may glorify You,”

The second part of asking for God to reveal His glory is getting to be an INSTRUMENT of glorification. When we SEE Him, He can use us to SHOW HIM OFF! That’s pretty much all I want out of this life. To see Him, and to bring Him glory. And there it is… all in one little prayer.

No comments: